New York: Arts – Monday – 3.26.18

Day 2 by Annalise Morning, 11th grade

Today, our first full day in NYC, could be summed up in two words: unpredictable, but amazing. First, we woke up and some of us went down the street to a local bagel deli for breakfast. The fresh bagels were the best any of us Georgia kids had ever had and were a fantastic start to our morning. After a great devotion from Hannah Hicks, we headed out into the city. We got to experience the subway for the first time this morning and it became our primary mode of transportation throughout the day. We headed over to southern Manhattan in attempts to get tickets to go to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. When we realized how long the wait would be to go, we decided on a quicker and more unique way of seeing Lady Liberty — the Staten Island Ferry. We opted to ride the ferry across the bay to Staten Island and then get right back on the ferry and come back. We arrived back in Manhattan before we would have even gotten on the ferry to Ellis Island itself if we had stuck with our original plan! After this, we headed towards the World Trade Center for lunch. After lunch, we visited the 9/11 memorial fountains and visited the 9/11 Tribute Museum. After spending time in the museum, we hopped back on the subway and headed to Rockefeller Center to go to the observation deck on the top floor of the building. Similar to Sunday night, when we went to the top of the Empire State Building, we stood in a long line and rode a long elevator but came out with some pretty awesome views and pictures. After this, we once again hopped back on the subway and headed towards the Nolita neighborhood of Manhattan for dinner at the country’s oldest pizza place, Lombardi’s Pizza. We enjoyed a nice dinner full of many laughs and fantastic pizza. When dinner was over, the group split in half and some went back to the hotel, while others went back to the Rockefeller Center in the hopes of ice skating. When we arrived at Rockefeller Plaza, however, we discovered we had to pay a lot of money and the next session would require us to be out until midnight or later. So we decided to head back to the hotel as well in hopes of going back to ice skate some other time on the trip. We all had so much fun today and so many memories were made, and it was only day one, so we can’t wait to see what the entire week holds!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s